A dog is a man’s best friend, some even state that a dog is man’s perfect companion. Dogs help their owners relieve stress by taking walks together and playing in the backyard or at the park. They are simply the best pets anyone could ask for, and one of the best ways to keep them safe is by getting them the best flea collar for dogs to offer protection against fleas and ticks.
Sadly enough, there are other animals that enjoy your dog’s presence as well; the fleas. Fleas are small little invaders that cause skin irritation and itchiness all over and are often annoying to dogs to a point they become upset. Besides, a flea bite can lead to a number of serious and life-threatening diseases.
Although there are plenty of pills that you can give your dog, opting for a flea collar can be a masterstroke as it prevents not only fleas from being a nuisance but also ticks.
The Best Flea Collar for Dogs
Below are some of the best flea collars for dogs that you can consider in case fleas and ticks are making life seemingly unbearable for your lovely pet.
1. Seresto Flea Collar for Dogs
The Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is an excellent solution when it comes to repelling and killing fleas and ticks on contact. It contains flumethrin and imidacloprid that is released into the dog’s system at a steady and constant rate. The collar is originally designed to restore itself with flumethrin in cases where the substance has already depleted from the band’s core. It gives superb 8-months protection against fleas and ticks.
- Contains flumethrin and imidacloprid
- Most recommended brand by veterinarians and pet experts
- Provides 8 months of continuous flea and tick prevention
- Kills and repels mosquitoes, lice, and aids in the treatment and control of sarcoptic mange
- Works through contact
- Fully waterproof, non-greasy and odorless formulation
2. Arava Flea & Tick Prevention Collar for Dogs
This is one of the best flea collars on the market, with its effectiveness and lack of hazardous chemical pesticides and herbal ingredients making it a standout option for most dog owners. It plays a vital role to protect both your dog and furniture from unpleasant stinging especially during the warmer season.
- It’s waterproof
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes
- Patented micro-injection technology
- Made with 100% natural ingredients
- It’s infused with essential oils
3. Rolf Club 3D FLEA Collar for Dogs
This non-toxic flea repellent works on the prevention of fleas and ticks for six months. It has the ability to kill fleas 24-48 hours after application. Additionally, before purchasing, your pet’s neck must be measured accurately to maximize its effectiveness.
- Offers 6 months of protection against flea and ticks
- Has advanced German formula
- Waterproof design
- Protects against mosquitoes
- Works after 24-48 hours after application
- Odor-free formula
4. Hartz Ultraguard Flea Collar for Dogs
This flea and tick collar is considered safe for use due to its active ingredient tetrachlorvinphos that has been identified as particularly toxic to the nervous system of the dog if ingested. The collar kills and repels fleas, ticks, flea eggs, and flea larvae. It also prevents flea eggs from hatching for seven months.
- Provides 7 months of protection against fleas and ticks
- Costs significantly less than the leading brands
- Non- greasy formula
- Comes with a fresh scent and water-resistant formulation
5. SOBAKEN Flea and Tick Prevention for Dogs
The SOBAKEN flea collar’s natural active ingredients spearmint oil, clove oil, and citronella are powerful yet hypoallergenic and completely safe. This collar works best up to 8 months to kill and repel ticks and fleas on your dog. It can also be used by dogs as young as three months.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Suitable for puppies over three months of age
- Waterproof design
- No toxic chemicals
- Adjusts to fit all breeds of dogs
- Protects against fleas and ticks for up to 8 months
6. Virbac Preventic Collar for Dogs
This Virbac prevention collar is one of the best flea collars that are also budget-friendly. Due to the friction of the collar surface on the neck, the active ingredient is delivered in portions and can protect the animal from fleas and ticks for several weeks.
- Protects the dog against fleas and ticks for up to 3 months
- Fits the neck up to 25 inches
- Its a lightweight
- Has effective ingredients
- It’s budget-friendly
7. Adams Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
The Adams flea and tick collar for dogs kill and repel fleas, flea larvae, and ticks. It also prevents new infestations from occurring and offers full-time control for 7 months. Its water-resistant feature is effective even when wet.
To apply the collar, place it around your dog’s neck, adjust for fit, and make sure to leave 2-3 inches for adjustment then cut the excess length.
- Offers 24/7 control for 7 months
- Adjustable and durable
- Fast-acting treatment
- Water-resistant and it’s effective when wet
8. Rolf Club 3D Flea and Worm Collar for Dogs
This collar is formulated with fipronil, ivermectin, and pyriproxyfen to protect against 14 species of parasites including the feared heartworm. It offers 4 months of protection against fleas, 3 months for ticks, and 2 months for worms.
Its unique formulation and its advantage over other brands are that its a flea repeller and dewormer.
- 2-in-1 flea treatment and dewormer formulation
- Odorless and waterproof design
- 4-month long protection against 14 different parasites
Important features to consider
When you are choosing a flea collar for your dog, there are a few features you need to consider in order to make the right choice. These features include;
- Water-resistant. It’s good to choose a waterproof design that’s still effective even when wet, especially if your dog likes swimming and playing in the rain.
- Duration. The owner should consider the period of protection by checking the manufacturer’s product information. Always replace the collar before the end of its protection period to prevent potential infestation.
- Adjustable size. It’s important to consider the adjustment of the collar for the comfortability around your dog’s neck. Check the collar’s description in the product information section about sizing and measurements.
- Natural or chemical formula. Some flea collars contain chemical pest preservatives, while others contain natural ingredients. It’s advisable to use natural flea collars because they are safer. However, they may be less effective than those containing chemicals.
If you have a dog at home, then you understand that keeping them safe and healthy can never be a second priority. Take time to treat your yard with a product that kills pests like fleas, lice, ticks, and ants. By doing that your dog is able to roll in the grass without you having to worry it might be invaded with the pests.